Saturday, January 10, 2009

Melanau

Melanau 'tall house'

I come from the Melanau tribe. Both of my parents are from Mukah but I born in Miri. This mean I consider myself as Mirian...hihihi!!!

'Siet' or ulat mulong...yummmyyy!!!

Melanau can also be found in Kalimantan Indonesia. They are the earliest settlers of Sarawak. In 19th century, they settled in scattered communities along the main tributaries of Rajang River. Word Melanau does not used by the Melanau to refer themselvess until recently, they use to call themselves a-likou, means 'people of the river'. It also was given by 1 of the Sultans' Brunei to the inhabitants of the coastal swamp flats and riveranks.

There are 6 different groups which are; Melanau Mukah, Melanau Dalat, Melanau Oya, Melanau Matu-Daro-Rejang, Melanau Bintulu, Melanau Balingian and Melanau Miri (this is which Melanau I come from). Each of these groups has its own characteristic dialect but however they share the same cultural and lingual backgroud, except Melanau Bintulu, which can hardly be understood.

Melanau also known as a fisherman as well as sago farmers. They are a skilled boat builders. Their houses are of the usual Malay type. Majority of Melanau tribes is either Christians or Muslims.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, I live, I laugh, I cry. I've wished sometimes that I could die

This is my wish for you:

Comfort on difficult days. Smile when sadness intrudes. Rainbows to follow the clouds. Laughter to kiss your lips. Sunsets to warm your heart. Hugs when spirits sag. Beauty for your eyes to see. Friendship to brighten your being. Faith so that you can believe. Confidence for when you doubt. Courage to know yourself. Patience to accept the truth. Love to complete your life.